Accounting: Lesson 5
Accounting Systems and Software
Lynn Talbot, founder and owner of HR Business Solutions, will be covering how to pick the right accounting system and software for your small business.
Test Your Knowledge
To receive credit for taking this course through TSBDC, watch the video and take the quiz that will appear below to demonstrate your knowledge.
0 of 3 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 3 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
What is the main advantage of using double entry accounting system?CorrectIncorrect
What are some of the things that you should consider when choosing an accounting system for your small business?CorrectIncorrect
Which of the following is not a suitable option for small business accounting?CorrectIncorrect
Video Lesson Topics
- Double Entry Accounting Program
The double entry accounting program is a system that has been around for a thousand years, where each transaction has two sides. The two sides are debit and credit. This will keep your books in balance, by having income and expenses on one side and assets, liabilities, and equities on the other side. Essentially debit what comes in and credit what goes out.
- Four Criteria for the Software You Choose
- Something that works for you, and gets you the reports you need in order to conduct good business.
- Something that works for the CPA to get the reports they need to prepare your taxes.
- It helps you realize detailed income and detailed expenses.
- You want it to be transparent, not to get lost, or messed up.
- Different Systems You Can Choose
- A simple spreadsheet from Excel. This can get difficult with constant updating and the fact it does not allow the double entry accounting program.
- PayPal can be used, it is not an accounting system , but does allow you to manage your income in detail. It is easy to sign up for, user friendly, and manage and receive invoices/payments.
- Other merchant accounts to use are Stripe or Square.
- The Point-of-Sale systems can calculate the sales by line item, keep inventory, and keep track of sales tax.
- Payroll systems like Gusto, Paychecks, QuickBooks online, and local banks have payroll systems will be needed as well. Do not try to keep up with payroll yourself.
QuickBooks is the number one software used by small businesses, that utilizes the double entry accounting system, and has some automatic functions to track debits and credits. There are two versions, either the Desktop QuickBooks or the QuickBooks Online (QBO). QBO is the most popular cloud-based accounting system in the world. Within these programs, there are different levels that you can purchase depending on the features you need. Cloud accounting is the fastest and most efficient way to keep your books. QBO is a monthly subscription, but has thousands of apps that can integrate well with other software if need be. The best feature is that your bank and credit card automatically feed your transactions into your QBO.
- Other Systems
- Sage Accounting
- Zoho Books
Topics & Lessons
Each Below Topic Contains a Video Lesson and Helpful Downloadable Information
Common Accounting Questions and Errors
Accountants, CPAs, and Bookkeepers
Accounting Systems and Software
Taxes (Links to Taxes/IRS Videos)
Why it Matters
Types of Tax Obligations
Franchise & Excise Taxes
IRS and State Tax Resources and Due Dates
Selecting a Business Tax Professional
Want to learn more about how this topic relates to your business?
Schedule a meeting with one of our consultants! All counseling sessions offered by the TSBDC are no-cost and provided by our staff of professional business consultants.