Women & Minority Owned Business Resources: Lesson 2
Jutta Bang, the East Tennessee PTAC Counselor at University of Tennessee with the Center for Industrial Services, will be discussing 8A certifications.
Test Your Knowledge
To receive credit for taking this course through TSBDC, watch the video and take the quiz that will appear below to demonstrate your knowledge.
0 of 3 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 3 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
What are the requirements for the 8(a) certification?CorrectIncorrect
What is the lifespan of the 8(a) program?CorrectIncorrect
What is the minimum value of a contract that is automatically set aside for small businesses?CorrectIncorrect
Video Lesson Topics
- Contracting Goals
The government has small business contracting goals for all agencies.
- 23% for small business
- 5% woman owned businesses
- 5% small disadvantaged businesses
- 3% for service disabled veteran owned businesses
- 3% HUBzone businesses
- Eligibility for 8A Certifications
- Must be a small business and not have been part of an 8A certification before
- Business must be at least 51% owned and controlled by U.S. citizens who are socially and economically disadvantaged
- Personal net worth needs to be $750,00 or less
- Business needs to show potential for success
- How to Get Certified
- Online application process through the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Upload supporting documentation
- Annual recertification to make sure all requirements are still being met
- Set Asides
To assist agencies in meeting their small business contracting goals; contracts can be set aside for categories. Contracts that are less than $150,00 are automatically set aside for small businesses. Only 8A firms will be able to bid on these set asides, and there are also sold source 8A contracts for speciality product/service or few offerers.
Topics & Lessons
Each Below Topic Contains a Video Lesson and Helpful Downloadable Information
Want to learn more about how this topic relates to your business?
Schedule a meeting with one of our consultants! All counseling sessions offered by the TSBDC are no-cost and provided by our staff of professional business consultants.